homeaboutmecontactpicturehomepinterestshop

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

superfoods


I need to get back on the wagon. My eating habits have been terrible lately. I've noticed that when life gets busy, the first thing I start to slack on is my health. I say all of this after I scarfed down two pop tarts in the car this morning. - zero nutritious value and terribly processed.

I have decided that I'm going to take action. I commit to being more conscious of what I put into my body.

So, after I filled up on my carb-loaded breakfast, I sat down at my computer and researched some super foods. I would say I am a fairly knowledgeable when it comes to diet and health, however, I needed a little reminder of the foods my body desperately needs.

Not to mention, the pictures the internet provides make any healthy foods look yummy.

So here is a list of some of the things that my body needs...

  1. Beans: They’re small in size, but big on fiber and iron. Darker-colored beans, such as black and kidney, have an even higher concentration of healthy stuff.
  2. Apricots:The oft-forgotten apricot is great source of Vitamin A and other nutrients. Dried apricots are even more nutritious, and portable, than fresh ones.
  3. Blueberries: Cranberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries are highly recommended for healthy aging. Said to help maintain short-term memory, blueberries contain high levels of antioxidants.
  4. Broccoli: It’s not hard to eat broccoli if you sauté it in a bit of olive oil and garlic. Deep-green vegetables like collard greens, kale and asparagus have abundant nutrients. Bok choy (Chinese cabbage) is also packed with nutrients that are said to guard against certain cancers.
  5. Cacao: Didn’t expect to see chocolate on a super food list, right? Well, buying organic chocolate (found in most health food stores) with high levels of cacao can do a body good. Note: Snickers bars are not a healthy substitute.
  6. Peanut Butter: The food that kids love is, in fact, healthy for you. Nuts are packed with omega-3 fatty acids, which can help fight heart disease. Almonds, in particular, are known for lowering cholesterol.
  7. Turkey: Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner, however, it’s always a good time to make lean, protein-rich turkey. You can cook a small breast with a side of cranberries, or substitute ground turkey in recipes that call for ground beef. Unfortunately, turkey lunch meat doesn’t make the cut, because it’s typically high in sodium.
  8. Cinnamon: Believe it or not, this spice is considered to be one of the healthiest foods in the world. And, no, it doesn’t count if it’s glued to the top of a sticky bun! Simply dust it on your oatmeal, your morning coffee, or even on a piece of fruit. Studies suggest that it can lower cholesterol and help control blood sugar (diabetics take note!).
  9. Pomegranate juice: This antioxidant-rich juice has been shown to help fight heart disease and lower cholesterol. Drink a small cup of pom juice daily, diluted with water if you find the taste too strong. You can also buy blends that contain apple or blueberry juice.
  10. Yogurt: Smoothie lovers, take a bow! You’re ahead of the game if you’re eating non-fat yogurt, because it’s good for intestinal health. Mix the plain stuff with some of the items on this list, including nuts, cinnamon or berries and you’re doubling up on healthy ingredients.
  11. Oats: Whole-grain goodies, such as oat bran breakfast cereal (like Cheerios), oatmeal and whole grain breads are on the list because they help lower your cholesterol and increase fiber intake.
  12. Avocado: Go ahead and whip up some avocado salsa, a great side dish. Guacamole is also good for you. Avocados are high-calorie, so you don’t want to go crazy eating them, but they are said to improve blood flow, which increases brain activity.
I am sure the list goes on and on ... One thing I do not believe makes the list is pop tarts!

What are some foods you suggest? Please share your personal lifestyle tricks that help you give your body with the nutrients you need! I would love to hear them.

{On a side note} I picked the photo above because it was titled frozen blueberries. I ate my first blueberry in college and I quickly discovered that I loved them - a little too much! I really enjoyed them frozen. Because they were so yummy, new, and healthy, I consumed an entire package in one night. Some people eat a bag of potato chips while they're watching tv - I ate a package of blueberries. The night after I ate the blueberries, I went to sleep like another other night. Things went south when I woke up in the middle of the night with terrible nausea. I quickly rushed to the bathroom. Now let me clarify, my head was in a middle of the night fog, and the last thing on my mind were the blueberries. All I knew was that I was SICK! If you have a weak stomach, then I would suggest you stop reading right about here.

I will continue... I started throwing up a dark red substance. In my middle of the night fog, the only thing that came to my mind was BLOOD. My mind started racing, I am throwing up tons of blood ... I am going to die! As my panic began to peak, one word came back to me - blueberries.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

i just wrote all these down.

i don't have a place to store food down here so i eat what A eats. let's just say my body is pretty mad. more like pissed.

can't wait to eat better and buy the foods on this list!