homeaboutmecontactpicturehomepinterestshop

Monday, June 21, 2010

book worm

I've been in between jobs for going on two months. I would say that I have enjoyed every second of it, but that would be an understatement. I am going back to work in the next week or so, and I have mixed feelings about it. I feel called to the work that I do, however, I have come to believe that I could be completely content not working. I have SO many things that I could fill my time with. Maybe someday I'll sell enough jewelry to become a self-employed crafter! I can think of nothing better than for all of my girlfriends to become successfully self-employed. Then, we could go to the pool together on a daily basis! Oh, I can dream. 

Anyways, while I've been off I have been reading a ton. I feel like I am devouring everything that I get my hands on. While in Europe, I read four books. That is definitely a record for me. I only brought one book with me ... that was a silly mistake. 



I guess I thought that I would be really busy. I read the entire book during our 8 hr flight. It was absolutely fabulous!! Everyone should read this book. You will not be disappointed. 

Then, I was left to roam the streets of Paris, desperate to find something written in English. It was actually more difficult than I thought. I finally found a bookstore that had a small English section. Turns out the only English books they had were ones that had been written by Hemingway, Fitzgerald, or turned into a movie. Since it was vacation, I opted for the ones that have been or are going to turned into movies.

I picked up these books ...


Eat, Pray, Love was interesting. It was without a doubt a captivating read. The writer spoke with a unique honesty. Although we would disagree on many issues of theology, I will still challenged by her passion to find pleasure, love, and balance in this life. 

Next, I read this classy novel .... bahahaha


I have been a long time SATC fan. Carrie life before NYC totally took me back to my high school years. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. I can't wait to see SATC2, however, I am waiting for my good friend Shannon to come in town so we can see it together. I won't give too much about the book away, but I will say that if you are a SATC fan, then you will LOVE the last sentence in the book. Please though, don't cheat and read the last sentence first. It won't mean anything without the background that the book provides. 

Lastly, I read this book/collection of articles. 
Malcolm Gladwell has a very clever way of viewing ordinary things. There were a couple great chapters on birth control and homelessness. I know the two aren't really related ... they were two entirely separate articles. 

Since, I've been back I read this book...


This is the by far the best book that I have read in a long time. I loved the Mark of the Lion series, however, I may have even loved this book more. If you're looking for a good summer read, then pick this book up! It really makes you think about how different things used to be. It also caused me to critically look at the world today and see what "lines" we need to get rid of.
Sadly, I went from reading The Help to this book....


It's a short book, and since I read all the others in the saga, I felt like I should read this one as well. It's difficult to get into after reading a book like The Help.

I currently have these books in my Amazon cart ...






I already own these two, but have never read them. They're also on my summer reading list ...



Also, I would like to read this book after E finishes it.



I'm curious...

What's on your summer reading list?
Have you recently stumbled upon any "must reads"?

5 comments:

-erin m said...

oh my gosh! You absolutely have to read Sarah's Key next....skip all the others! It's a great read. I will say its a little bit of a downer but its so emotional you'll love it. Highly recommended!

Laura L said...

I really loved The Help too. I read it over Christmas. I want to read that book, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and sweet, so you'll have to let me know what you think of it when you are finished.

Jen said...

i feel so sad! i'll never get to see SATC2 :(

Jade Cook said...

I just started reading the Mark of the Lions series. I'm really enjoying it so far. And Shaun just bought me the Twilight Novella. I can't wait to read it and of course see Eclipse!!!

Jennifer Heersche said...

I would definitely read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society! It's a pretty fast read, because it's format is different - it's a series of letters. So many great characters! I could let you borrow it actually - just send me a message on FB and let me know and I'll put it in Eric's mailbox.