homeaboutmecontactpicturehomepinterestshop

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

thanksgiving burgers


Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and I can hardly keep my butt in my office chair this week. I am so desperately awaiting a relaxing Thanksgiving vacation. I am sure all of you are with me.

Does your family have any quirky Thanksgiving traditions?

Last night E and I served one of the most unique Thanksgiving dinners that I have ever heard of. E has become friends with a man that struggles with many mental health conditions. This man is older and unfortunately he does not have any close family ties. In conversation a couple of weeks ago, E invited him and a couple of his friends over to celebrate Thanksgiving.

When E extended the invitation, I felt excited and anxious at the same time. I love to cook and have people over, but I am T minus 7 days until my comprehensive exam. Not to mention I have never made turkey, stuffing, or anything of that sort before!

About a week after the invite was extended, this man told E about his excitement to eat dinner at our home, and that he would love it if we made cheeseburgers. Yes, cheeseburgers ... for Thanksgiving.

Needless to say, I was relieved! Grilling up a couple burgers was so much easier than fixing a full out Thanksgiving dinner. I believe that God knew my current circumstances and thought that cheeseburgers would add ease and humor into my life.

Last night and a lot lately, God has been teaching me the truth in His word that says

It is more blessed to give than to receive.

This truth of God seems so backward, especially in todays economy. However, I have been so encouraged lately that His word stands true no matter what the present circumstances. Praise Him that He is a God whose word and truth seizes to change.

... One last thing that is totally not related, but I thought would make you laugh.

Last night I was totally exhausted after a long day of work, practicums, and cheeseburgers, so I decided to run myself a hot bath. I started running the water and walked into the kitchen to clean up while the tub filled. After a couple of minutes I walked into the bathroom to check on the water level ... and what did I see ... STELLA STANDING IN MY BATH WATER. I guess she decided that she wanted to take a warm bath first! Gotta love the joys of being a dog owner ...

No comments: